Healthy food plays a big role in helping kids stay focused throughout the school day, but packing healthy lunches for your child can be challenging. The most convenient options are often not the healthiest, and healthy school lunch options often do not seem very convenient. Here are five tips to help you streamline your school lunch routine and ramp up the quality of your kids’ noontime fare.
- Prep Lunch Items in Advance
Set aside an hour or two at a consistent time and day each week to focus on lunch item preparation.
- Peel, cut, and/or portion individual servings of carrot sticks, grapes, strawberries, or other fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables.
- Cut servings of cheese slices and wrap them in waxed paper.
- Fill serving sized zip-top bags with healthy whole wheat crackers.
- Make a loaf’s worth of sandwiches and refrigerate or freeze them.